ILTA August 25, 2008 1:00 pm
By the way, David Hobbie is also live blogging at Caselines.
These are my notes from the program. [Since I am taking paper-free notes and because there is free Wi-Fi here, I thought that I’d add the notes to the blog. Disclaimer: my notes are rough, so forgive the typos.]
Kate Cain, Stan Wasylyk, Doug Cornelius
Kate Cain – Project Manager at Winston & Strawn
- Assess the current environment. What is available today, what’s missing?
- Who is currently providing the experience reporting? Who’s asking?
- How are they using the info?
- Which reports are used?
- How is the information used?
- What are the business needs? Let that answer drive the solution.
- Constructing a framework – a rough draft; identify themes within the firm.
- Validate Assumptions –
Stan Wasylyk – Foley Lardner
- Rightness – getting the right people with the right skills working for the right clients on the right assignments
- Goal – improve productivity
- Use talent across the organization
- Facilitating diversity efforts; boost morale
- existing info resources in many different places
- no tool to show who is available to do work (utlization indicator)
- difficult to find people based on skills
- Used Maven PSA (off the shelf database product)
- mapped data about people, skills, clients, matters, etc.
- info is organized by tabs
- maintained skills map – rated people’s level of experience with various areas of law
- Example of how it works
- finds the appropriate people, determines experience level and indicates their availability.
- application has a fielded search interface.
- radio button show availability for next 8 weeks.
- radio button shows skill map.
- Lessons learned
- hard to change lawyer behavior
- sponsorship of senior management is key to success
- operating layer of management – challenge to get these people involved (people, process and change management are key)
Doug Cornelius – Attorney and KM at Goodwin Procter
- iStaff system
- Doug walked us through GP’s iStaff system
- shows who is available and allows assignments
- shows pending assignments
- everyone seems to like the system
- Experience Search
- uses the existing firm bios to feed the system
- put all information on to one page: general, bio, and background.
- works well for unique requests, but not so well for general inquires.
- don’t yet have a rating system, like Foley
LawyerKM :: Knowledge Management & Technology for Lawyers and Law Firms